Monday 14 September 2009

Monday 14th September

The penultimate day of Toby's treatment!  Hooray. 

Martina had left a note on Friday for the anaesthetist today, to make sure we get the opportunity to finally view the machine.  Only one of us can do it, but while Kyle takes Sam outside, I made sure I took plenty of photos.  (See below!) It felt a bit gruesome really, but having spent so many weeks in a degree of ignorance on the 'how' it all happens, I wanted to make sure we made the most of the opportunity.  Plus, at least we'll have the photos to show Toby when he's older.  I felt sick when I saw some of their photos of Toby, made during the planning sessions.  But I knew now is was the time to be an emotional wreck.  Half of me wishes I'd never seen the images as they'll always be with me, but the other half of me feels better for knowing everything of what has happened to him.  As a teenager or young adult, I would have wanted to know everything, so I think I need to make sure he can understand as much as possible, should he want to.

After the anaesthetic is in, the team bring a trolly through into the room, with Toby's full body mould on.  They transfer him in, and put a 'bite block' in his mouth, which serves as a positioning device.  They then tape his eye right eye open (and tape the other one shut!).  The trolley then moves into the CT scanning room.  They take a CT scan and if he's within 10mm of the original mould position, they can then change the proton beams with the use of computer software, to achieve the original target, and can achieve accuray of 0.25mm.  Amazing stuff.  He then waits while the previous patient is brought out and as soon as the corridor is clear, he's on his way down to the treatment room.  Maximum efficiency of use of the machine is an understatement.  When in the machine, his trolley is attached to the machine, which then retains him in his mould, while the rest of the trolley is moved away.  The floor drops and then the machine rotates around him until it's above him.  He looks like he's suspended in thin air.  I can't believe how futuristic or space age it all seems.

Then it's time for the protons, and we all have to leave the room.  At this point, I'm happy to leave proceedings.  Although it's only a few minutes for the treatment, I was more than happy to say I'd seen enough.  When Toby comes round in the recovery room, there is also a CD of images of him, that they've taken at PSI.  Martina said she'd organise it and organise it she did.  What a star.

We took it easy for the rest of the day.  We've organised a thankyou gift for the PSI, and just had to sort out a gift bag and tissue paper, along with a couple of photos of Toby and a thankyou note.  All ready for our last day of protons tomorrow!  How will we feel when the chemo comes to a finish???!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment